Now Hiring: Content Editor
Do you love working with artists? Do you view editing as an exciting creative endeavor? You might be a perfect addition to HowlRound! We are seeking two part-time content editors to join our team on a work-remote basis.
The content editors work with HowlRound staff to evaluate content ideas for HowlRound, develop and edit journal essays and podcast transcripts, work closely on edits with HowlRound contributors, finalize two to three essays per week (for a collective four to five essays published weekly), and carry out related editorial tasks. These roles routinely meet tight deadlines for publication of articles.
Our editorial philosophy at HowlRound is that editing is a collaborative creative practice. We value and practice style consistency, but our first priority is to facilitate a conversation with and for theatremakers inclined toward a more democratic contemporary theatre. The HowlRound content editors must have proven ability to edit (structural, stylistic, and copy), do minor fact-checking, and proof copy according to Chicago Manual and established style guidelines.
The content editors will work closely with the associate producer and creative producer (and the rest of the team) to
- evaluate pitches at a weekly editorial meeting,
- attend a weekly check-in meeting with the associate producer and/or creative producer to track progress,
- usher accepted pieces through the editing process,
- work as a team to publish approximately four to five essays in the journal per week, and
- communicate directly with HowlRound contributors via email and Zoom.
Aside from these weekly meetings, much of the job will involve flexible hours and personal time management. The content editors will be responsible for
- communicating HowlRound’s editorial standards and requirements to authors whose pitches have been accepted,
- working closely with artist contributors to ensure their opinions and ideas are shared with clarity and purpose, and that their voices are fully and truthfully represented,
- editing drafts to HowlRound’s style guide,
- finalizing approximately four to five pieces a week, and
- readying the final drafts for publication, which includes writing summary texts, choosing and placing pull quotes, and tagging the articles.
These are part-time, independent contractor positions open to anyone across the globe, as long as you can be available for calls between 9 am and 5 pm EST. Hours will vary week to week depending on the volume of content, but we can guarantee a minimum of fifteen hours a week and a maximum of twenty. Ideal candidates will be able to make a yearlong commitment.
- Professional editing experience
- Project management and organizational skills
- Ability to virtually attend four hours of weekly meetings, between 9 am and 4 pm EST
- Excellent written communication skills
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style or demonstrated ability to quickly learn and edit to a style guide
- Previous knowledge of and engagement with HowlRound
- A commitment to theatre and the arts
- Knowledge of the contemporary international theatre landscape
- Knowledge of the contemporary American theatre landscape
Please send a resume and cover letter (which will serve as a writing sample), to Deen Rawlins-Harris, HowlRound associate producer, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm EST on 2 July 2021. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until that point. In addition to these materials, the first step in the application process will be an editing assignment, for which you will have four-and-a-half work days (Monday to Friday) to complete, so we can assess your ability to edit material in accordance to HowlRound style and work pace. In your cover letter, please indicate which of the following date ranges you prefer for your assignment:
Editing assignment dates:
June 7 – June 11
June 14 – June 18
June 21 – June 25
June 28 – July 2
July 5 – July 9
Download this job description