Now Hiring: Part-Time Communications Consultant
Purpose of this Position:
HowlRound Theatre Commons seeks a part-time, fully-remote Communications Consultant for January-June 2023. This person will be responsible for creating digital content, including graphic, photo, and video assets for web, social, and email, to advance awareness of and engagement with our work to amplify progressive, disruptive ideas about theatre and connect theatremakers worldwide. The Communications Consultant reports to the Communications Manager.
You have a passion for design, a keen aesthetic sensibility, and an eye for detail. You love to create beautiful images that tell a story and inspire others. You are a collaborator who gives and receives generous feedback, and you aren’t afraid to share your point of view. You have a background in communications, social media, and/or design and you relish the opportunity to work for a values aligned organization. You are a storyteller. You are a lover of the arts.
As the HowlRound Communications Consultant, you will work closely with the Communications Manager to tell our story through all of our communications channels and our online platform, with a primary focus on and responsibility for visual storytelling. By creating and managing graphic, photo, and video assets, you will help us engage our online community more deeply.
HowlRound Theatre Commons is a free and open platform for theatremakers worldwide that amplifies progressive, disruptive ideas about the art form and facilitates connection between diverse practitioners. We envision a theatre field where resources and power are shared equitably in all directions, contributing to a more just and sustainable world.
- Generosity and abundance-all are welcome and necessary
- Community and collaboration over isolation and competition
- Diverse aesthetics and the evolution of forms of theatre practice
- Equity, inclusivity, and accessibility for underrepresented theatre communities and practices
- Global citizenship-local communities intersecting with global practice
We were founded in 2011 and we're still evolving! We are a dedicated and passionate staff of six based in the Office of the Arts, alongside ArtsEmerson, at Emerson College, in Boston. Emerson College is internationally recognized as the nation's premier institution of higher learning devoted to communication and the arts.
Essential Functions of the Role (Your Responsibilities):
- Produce content for HowlRound’s digital platforms, in particular designing web, email, and social media assets, including:
- Promotional materials for HowlRound content, convenings, and books
- Fundraising materials
- Website and MailChimp banners
- Edit archival video from past events, including those produced by HowlRound and those livestreamed on HowlRoundTV
- Design print materials for in-person events
Qualifications (Your Skills and Experience):
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Communications, Public Relations, Theatre or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years of experience in communications, graphic design, or similar career discipline
- Photo and video editing skills
- Graphic design/creation skills: experience creating assets based on a style guide and for different social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace
- Organized self-starter and self-directed, willing to be flexible, a positive attitude
- Ability to manage multiple communications projects simultaneously and able to meet established deadlines
- Knowledge of the not-for-profit theatre sector and HowlRound's place in the theatre landscape
- Social media management and strategy experience (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok)
- Dramaturgical and/or storytelling experience
- Familiarity with standards of accessibility for online content
Hours and Pay:
We are looking for someone who can commit 20-25 hours per week to this work, January-June 2023 with a possibility for extension upon mutual agreement. At least 10 hours per week, on a mutually agreed-upon schedule, must fall within HowlRound team work hours (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pmET) to allow for virtual meetings and real-time communication with the Boston-based staff, but project-based work can be done at whatever time is convenient for you. The pay is $27/hour. This position is an independent contractor paid through Emerson College. Taxes are not withheld and the Communications Consultant will not receive benefits through Emerson College.
How To Apply:
Please email the following to Ramona Rose King, Communications Manager, at [email protected] by Sunday, 27 November:
- Brief cover letter describing your interest in this position
- Three references
- A portfolio of graphic design and video editing work