BECAUSE IT'S 2016: An Open Invitation from the Latino Theatre Community to Discuss Representation—a conversation with members of the Latina/o theatre community about fair and equal representation on Vancouver stages—livestreaming on the global, commons-based peer produced HowlRound TV network at howlround.tv on Monday, January 11 at 7 p.m. PST (Vancouver) / 8 p.m. MST (Calgary) / 9 p.m. CST (Winnipeg) / 10 p.m. EST (Toronto).
Moderated by Jay Dodge, Artistic Producer of Boca del Lupo. This event supported and hosted by The Vancouver Latin American Cultural Centre (VLACC), The Latin American Studies Program at SFU, The Latin American Studies Program at UBC, and the rice & beans theatre. Livestreaming support by Playwrights Theatre Centre.
Topics that will be moderated include:
- The series of events in Vancouver theatre that have led us to have this open conversation
- A brief history of why we wrote an open letter to Haberdashery Theatre Company and the Firehall Arts Centre regarding the casting of The Motherfucker with the Hat. See the Georgia Straight article and The Globe and Mail article
- Moving beyond a boycott to an active discussion
- The invisibility & erasure of Latina/o parts in Vancouver theatre
- Deconstructing the idea of the best actor for the role
- Artistic integrity vs. casting responsibility
This is an open event (Facebook event invitation) and we urge everyone from the theatre community and beyond to attend this very important discussion, which is happening across North America and beyond right now.
Will 2016 be the tipping point?
About HowlRound TV
HowlRound TV is a global, commons-based peer produced, open access livestreaming and video archive project stewarded by HowlRound, a knowledge commons by and for the theatre, arts, and cultural community. The channel is at howlround.tv and is a free and shared resource for live events and performances relevant to the world's live arts fields. Its mission is to break geographic isolation, promote resource sharing, and to develop our knowledge commons collectively. Follow and use hashtag #howlround in Twitter to participate in a community of peers revolutionizing the flow of information, knowledge, and access in our field. Our community uses the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0). Become a producer and co-produce with us by going to our participate page. For any other queries, contact @HowlRound on Twitter, email email@example.com, or call Vijay Mathew at +1 9176863185 Signal/WhatsApp. Host a watch party and let us know about it. Click here to see past programming.