La MaMa in New York City presents Safe Harbors Indigenous Arts/Theater Collective at Culturehub's Arts/Culture: Social Justice and Social Change discussion livestreaming on the global, commons-based peer-produced HowlRound TV network at howlround.tv on Wednesday, April 6 at 12:30 p.m.-5 p.m. EDT (New York) / 11:30 p.m.-4 p.m. CDT (Chicago) / 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. MDT (Alberta) / 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. PDT (Vancouver) / 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. AKDT (Alaska) / 6:30 a.m.-11 a.m. HAST (Hawaii) / 16:30-21:00 GMT / 5:30 p.m.-10 p.m. BST (London) / 18:30-23:00 CEST (Brussels).
With artists and cultural activists from across the U.S. and Canada, we will discuss the topics of:
- Arts/Culture: Social Justice and Social Change in relation to Indigenous communities and their work
- The Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Violence against women
- Cultural rights and identity
- The Doctrine of Discovery
- Misappropriation of Native images
- Murielle Borst-Tarrant, Director of Safe Harbors Indigenous arts/Theater Collective at LaMaMa.
- Eve Reyes-Aguirre-Tonatierra Nahuacalli, An Embassy of Indigenous Peoples, Phoenix, Arizona
- Carolyn M. Dunn, PhD, Associate Vice President, Office for Institutional Diversity Assistant Professor, Dept. of English Language & Literatures, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Michigan
- Dipankar Mukherjee, Pangea World Theater, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Angelo Baca, Filmmaker, New York, New York
- Nicholson Billey, Choreographer, New York, New York
- Penny Couchie, Dancer, actor, teacher, choreographer, Aanmitaagzi (He/She Speaks), Nipissing First Nation, Ontario
Special guest speaker:
- Muriel Miguel, of Spiderwoman Theater, speaking about her life in theatre and as a community activist.
About HowlRound TV
HowlRound TV is a global, commons-based peer produced, open access livestreaming and video archive project stewarded by HowlRound, a knowledge commons by and for the theatre, arts, and cultural community. The channel is at howlround.tv and is a free and shared resource for live events and performances relevant to the world's live arts fields. Its mission is to break geographic isolation, promote resource sharing, and to develop our knowledge commons collectively. Follow and use hashtag #howlround in Twitter to participate in a community of peers revolutionizing the flow of information, knowledge, and access in our field. Our community uses the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0). Become a producer and co-produce with us by going to our participate page. For any other queries, contact @HowlRoundTV on Twitter, email email@example.com, or call Vijay Mathew at +1 9176863185 Signal/WhatsApp. Host a watch party and let us know about it. Click here to see past programming.