Livestreamed on this page Monday 11 January at 7 p.m. PST (Vancouver) / 8 p.m. MST (Calgary) / 9 p.m. CST (Winnipeg) / 10 p.m. EST (Toronto).
Because It's 2016: An Open Invitation from the Latino Theatre Community to Discuss Representation
BECAUSE IT'S 2016: An Open Invitation from the Latino Theatre Community to Discuss Representation—a conversation with members of the Latina/o theatre community about fair and equal representation on Vancouver stages—livestreamed on the global, commons-based peer produced HowlRound TV network at howlround.tv on Monday 11 January at 7 p.m. PST (Vancouver) / 8 p.m. MST (Calgary) / 9 p.m. CST (Winnipeg) / 10 p.m. EST (Toronto).
Moderated by Jay Dodge, Artistic Producer of Boca del Lupo. This event supported and hosted by The Vancouver Latin American Cultural Centre (VLACC), The Latin American Studies Program at SFU, The Latin American Studies Program at UBC, and the rice & beans theatre. Livestreaming support by Playwrights Theatre Centre.
Topics that will be moderated include:
- The series of events in Vancouver theatre that have led us to have this open conversation
- A brief history of why we wrote an open letter to Haberdashery Theatre Company and the Firehall Arts Centre regarding the casting of The Motherfucker with the Hat. See the Georgia Straight article and The Globe and Mail article
- Moving beyond a boycott to an active discussion
- The invisibility & erasure of Latina/o parts in Vancouver theatre
- Deconstructing the idea of the best actor for the role
- Artistic integrity vs. casting responsibility
This is an open event (Facebook event invitation) and we urge everyone from the theatre community and beyond to attend this very important discussion, which is happening across North America and beyond right now.
Will 2016 be the tipping point?
About HowlRound TV
HowlRound TV is a global, commons-based peer produced, open access livestreaming and video archive project stewarded by the nonprofit HowlRound. HowlRound TV is a free and shared resource for live conversations and performances relevant to the world's performing arts and cultural fields. Its mission is to break geographic isolation, promote resource sharing, and to develop our knowledge commons collectively. Participate in a community of peer organizations revolutionizing the flow of information, knowledge, and access in our field by becoming a producer and co-producing with us. Learn more by going to our participate page. For any other queries, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Vijay Mathew at +1 917.686.3185 Signal/WhatsApp. View the video archive of past events.