We’re Hiring a Creative Producer!
Do you know and love HowlRound Theatre Commons and want to be part of stewarding our free and open platform? Join our team! You could be our next creative producer!
We are looking for a passionate, driven, and detail-oriented collaborator who is a creative systems thinker and is able to hold and execute multiple high-priority, mission-critical projects at a time. The creative producer holds experience and competence in the not-for-profit arts and culture sector, cultural production and new play development, and community organizing. As a values-driven organization, we are looking for someone whose personal values are in alignment with our vision to create a more equitable, just, and sustainable theatre field.
This is a full-time position with a starting salary of $67,927 - $74,976 along with a comprehensive benefits package. This position is Boston-based, currently on a hybrid work schedule. We encourage all candidates to find out more about how we work through a commons-based approach through reviewing our Theory of Change.
We are currently a full-time staff of six, working in collaboration with multiple contractors, supported by and housed in the Office of the Arts at Emerson College alongside ArtsEmerson, a professional theatre presenting organization.
The creative producer holds primary responsibility for producing HowlRound's in-person and virtual events and programs. The creative producer produces the National Playwright Residency Program, in-person and virtual convenings, and works in partnership with the Latinx Theatre Commons producer to support the efforts of the Latinx Theatre Commons. In conversation with the director and the rest of the team, they contribute to “holding the whole,” assisting in the creation of HowlRound and implementation of its strategic goals, objectives, and day-to-day operations, shaping the trajectory of our work and the organization itself. The creative producer reports to the director of HowlRound and supervises the HowlRound associate producer and the Latinx Theatre Commons producer.
Essential Job Duties
- Lead produce HowlRound’s in-person and digital convenings with diverse partners and stakeholders
- Produce the National Playwright Residency Program
- Supervise and partner with the Latinx Theatre Commons producer to advance the mission and programming of the Latinx Theatre Commons
- Supervise the associate producer, provide coaching and regular feedback and direct their work ensuring it lines up with HowlRound team goals and deliverables.
- Project manage team operations and produce HowlRound special initiatives such as annual team retreats, one-off events, and special projects.
- Support HowlRound fundraising efforts through assisting with grant applications and reporting.
- Represent HowlRound at international, national, and local events as needed.
- Participate in Office of the Arts initiatives to advance racial and climate justice, and other OA-wide priorities and strategic initiatives.
- All other duties as assigned.
See more details on job duties at the Emerson College website.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- 5-6 years in the arts or the not-for-profit sector
- Experience producing theatre, conferences, and/or other events and facilitating events, meetings, and groups of people in collaborative process
- Experience in new play development and working one-on-one with artists to achieve their vision
- Project management experience
- Managerial experience
- Experience creating budgets and managing expenses to budgets preferred
- Experience supporting grant application processes and reporting efforts preferred
- Experience facilitating agreement across difference with multiple stakeholders to achieve a shared goal preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated alignment with HowlRound’s core values and a demonstrated commitment to anti-racism and advancing equity in the workplace
- Familiarity with Google Workspace, Zoom, Basecamp or similar project management software
- Advanced knowledge of and deep appreciation for the transformative power of theatre and performance
- Ability to multitask and work collaboratively as part of a team in a fast paced and creative environment
- Knowledge of new play creation and development processes
- Strong facilitation skills
- Ability to communicate and effectively interact with people across cultures, ability, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, and race
- Commitment to ongoing self-reflection, awareness, and analysis-building
- Knowledge of and passion for commons-based approaches a plus
- Knowledge of Drupal publishing platforms a plus
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices as pertains to producing events a plus
HowlRound and Emerson College Are Committed to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. People of color, LGBTQIA+ people, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position with a starting salary of $67,927 - $74,976 and a comprehensive benefits package. Find out more about benefits.
Please submit a cover letter detailing your interest in this position, your resume, and three references with email and phone contact information through the Emerson College website. We encourage you to apply by 7 April, though we are reviewing applications on a rolling basis. We are targeting a start date for this role of 5 June 2023.