We're Hiring a Communications Manager!
Do you know and love HowlRound, and want to be part of crafting our future direction and telling our story to the world? You could be our Communications Manager!
We are looking for our next conceptual collaborator and creative partner. You are an innovative systems thinker who is eager to take on new challenges. You aren’t afraid of the unknown, and you thrive as much creating the process as the product. You have a background in communications and you relish the opportunity to work for a values aligned organization. You are a lover of the arts.
As the HowlRound Communications Manager, you will lead the charge in telling our story through all of our media channels and our online communications platform. You will help us engage our community more deeply and grow our increasingly global reach. You will help shape the trajectory of our work and the organization itself.
We were founded in 2011 and we’re still evolving! We are a dedicated and passionate staff of five based in the Office of the Arts at Emerson College, in Boston. Emerson College is internationally recognized as the nation’s premier institution of higher learning devoted to communication and the arts.
Does this sound like you?
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Theatre or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of experience with 1-3 years in communications, public relations, media relations or similar career discipline.
- Understanding current media and PR strategies and trends.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to write for different audiences and channels.
- Ability to analyze reports, determine organizational needs, and propose feasible solutions to challenges.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of and/or passion for the not-for-profit theatre and performance field.
- Commitment to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace and in the theatre field.
- Experience with web content management systems (Drupal preferred), email marketing software (MailChimp preferred), Social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), Google Analytics, and Google Ads.
- Experience using data to tell a story that can be communicated in an easily digestible and actionable way.
- Organized self-starter and self-directed, willing to be flexible, a positive attitude, and a willingness to adjust to a rapidly changing landscape and the possibility of unanticipated projects and demands.
- Able to manage multiple communications projects simultaneously and able to meet established deadlines.
- Knowledge of the not-for-profit theatre sector and HowlRound’s place in the theatre landscape.
- Experience working in graphic design or art direction.
- Supervisory experience.
- Develop and execute integrated marketing and communication strategies based on a shared understanding of HowlRound’s mission, vision, and values.
- Act as primary creative director and develop content calendar for HowlRound’s social media channels; lead implementation.
- Develop and implement a digital media strategy and work plan, to include social media, web, and email, outlining measurable outcomes as part of an overall communications plan;
- Develop and manage HowlRound public relations: create media strategy in partnership with the Director; write, edit, draft press releases; create and maintain media list, monitor media coverage.
- Lead and craft donation strategy for individual giving appeals.
- Administer the organization's email efforts (currently weekly and daily), including email list building and management, and develop new regular direct email strategies in line with HowlRound’s future goals.
- Maintain HowlRound digital assets, including photos, videos, articles, media coverage, and links;
- In partnership with the Cultural Strategist manage HowlRound’s CRM and expand its functional use in HowlRound’s day to day operations.
- Work with the Cultural Strategist to assess analytics and evaluate impacts of communications campaigns and adjust accordingly.
- Manage contractors for creation of HowlRound branded online and print pieces and oversee design as needed.
- Support communication and documentation of HowlRound in-person events.
- Partner with Emerson College Communications staff to increase awareness of HowlRound on campus.
- Manage HowlRound Fellow and direct their work.
HowlRound and Emerson College are committed to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. People of color, LGBTQIA+people, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position with a starting salary of $60,560 and a comprehensive benefits package. Find out more about benefits here.
Please submit a cover letter detailing your interest in this position, your resume, three references with email and phone contact information, and a professional writing sample. Go here to apply through the Emerson College website. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, but we encourage you to apply by 1 February.