We're Hiring an Editor!
Do you love working with artists? Do you view editing as an exciting creative endeavor? You might be a perfect addition to the HowlRound team!
The content editor works with HowlRound contributors and staff to evaluate story pitches for the journal, develops and edits articles, negotiates changes with writers, routinely meets tight deadlines for publication of articles, and carries out related editorial tasks.
Our editorial philosophy at HowlRound is that editing is a collaborative creative practice. We value and practice style consistency, but our first priority is to facilitate a conversation with and for theatremakers inclined toward a more democratic contemporary theatre. Must have proven ability to edit, do minor fact-checking, and proof copy according to Chicago Manual and established style guidelines.
The Content Editor will work closely with the Associate Producer and the rest of the team to
- Evaluate pitches from writers at a weekly Editorial meeting
- Track accepted pitches and pieces that are in the editing process
- Publish approximately five articles in the journal in a week
Aside from these weekly meetings, much of the job will involve flexible hours and personal time management. The Content Editor will be responsible for
- Communicating HowlRound’s editorial standards and requirements to authors whose pitches have been accepted
- Working closely with artist contributors to ensure their opinions and ideas are shared with clarity and purpose, and that their voices are fully and truthfully represented
- Editing drafts to HowlRound’s style guide
- Finalizing approximately three pieces a week
This is a part-time, independent contractor position. Hours will vary week to week depending on the volume of content, but we can guarantee a minimum of five hours a week and a maximum of fifteen. Ideal candidates will be able to make a year-long commitment.
- Professional editing experience
- Project-management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of the contemporary American theatre landscape
- Ability to virtually attend weekly meetings during the workday
- Excellent written communication skills
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style or demonstrated ability to quickly learn and edit to a style guide
- Adapt easily and effectively to changing technologies - social media, digital and print content-management systems, multimedia video/audio - and use them appropriately and effectively as needed
- Previous knowledge of and engagement with HowlRound
- Bachelor’s degree
- Knowledge of the contemporary international theatre landscape
- Ability to attend in person weekly or bi-weekly meetings during the workday in Boston, MA
$20-$25/hour depending on experience
Please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and contact info for three references to Ramona Ostrowski, HowlRound Associate Producer, at [email protected] by 11:59pmET on Sunday 4 February 2018.